NRH SS Scoring Criteria (Rubric)

NRH Social Studies Graduation Standards

All summative assessments (local history projects, exams, essays, and book projects)  are based on the following criteria. All formative assessments (classwork, homework, quizzes, etc.) are working towards student achievement in these standards and indicators.

1. Process and Skills in Social Studies

Students will be able to demonstrate a thorough understanding of the research and writing process.

Performance Indicators Does Not Meet Partially Meets Meets Exceeds
     1.         Students will be able to develop appropriate research questions. (CCSS.ELA-Literacy.WHST.11-12.7) I can list what I know about a topic. I can explain what I hope to find out in my research. I can construct open-ended questions that build on one another and require evidence and support. I can analyze my own research questions to refine them based on my earlier questions and learning.
     2.         Students will be able to select appropriate information and resources from a variety of primary and secondary sources. (CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RH.11-12.1; CCSS.ELA-Literacy.WHST.11-12.8, 11-12.9) I can find information from different types of source. I can classify information from different types of credible sources. I can choose credible and relevant information from   credible primary and secondary sources. I can analyze the information I’ve found to determine which is most relevant and credible for my topic.
     3.         Students will be able to determine the central ideas of sources. (CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RH.11-12.2; CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RH.11-12.3; CCSS.ELA-Literacy.WHST.11-12.8) I can retell what I read. I can organize information that I read. I can evaluate the essential meaning of a text. I can elaborate on the central ideas of a text.
     4.         Students will be able to synthesize information. (CCSS.ELA-Literacy.WHST.11-12.7) I can organize the evidence in sources. I can prioritize the evidence in sources. I can combine evidence to support a perspective on a topic. I can elaborate on the relationships among the evidence.
     5.         Students will be able to produce coherent writing which is appropriate to purpose and audience.(CCSS.ELA-Literacy.WHST.11-12.4) I can develop a piece of writing about a topic. I can develop a piece of writing that fits my purpose or my audience. I can compose an organized piece of writing that fits my purpose and audience. I can manipulate my writing in ways that engage the audience through elements such as tone, style, evidence, word choice and sentence structure.
     6.         Students will be able to apply discipline specific citation format and avoid plagiarism.(CCSS.ELA-Literacy.WHST.11-12.8) I can identify information that should be cited. I can use citations for information that I use directly. I can utilize citations for information that I use directly and that I paraphrase.
  1. Enduring Themes

Students will make informed decisions based on historic, geographic, economic and government and civic themes and knowledge.

1. Students will be able to develop questions related to societal issues, trends and events. I can ask a clarifying question connected to prior knowledge. I can ask clarifying questions that are connected to a theme and based on prior knowledge. I can construct probing questions connected to a theme, based on prior knowledge and evidence. I can create probing questions that connect themes and evidence to stimulate the thinking of others.
2. Students will generate alternative solutions supported with observations and research. (CCSS.ELA-Literacy.WHST.11-12.1, 1a, 1b OR (?) CCSS.ELA-Literacy.WHST.11-12.2…) I can describe the problem. I can identify different solutions to a problem. I can construct different solutions to a problem, using observations and/or research.  I can justify different solutions to a problem, using observations and research.
3. Students will be able to evaluate various perspectives and make an evidence based decision (argument).(CCSS.ELA-Literacy.WHST.11-12.1) I can identify different perspectives on an issue. I can distinguish between multiple perspectives on an issue and explain them clearly. I can assess multiple perspectives in order to generate and support a credible decision/argument with evidence. I can synthesize multiple perspectives in order to generate and persuasively defend a position based on evidence.
4. Students will be able to participate in discussion referencing texts and other research. I can contribute to the discussion. I can contribute to a discussion using evidence. I can explain different perspectives found in multiple pieces of evidence during a discussion. I can evaluate critical distinctions within and/or between sources in order to elevate a discussion.
5. Students will be able to identify enduring themes by applying patterns of continuity and change, cause and effect, or comparing and contrasting based on eras in world and United States history. I can define continuity and change, cause and effect, or comparing and contrasting. I can identify patterns of continuity and change, cause and effect, or comparing and contrasting. I can utilize patterns of continuity and change, cause and effect, or comparing and contrasting. I can evaluate historical eras by choosing patterns of continuity and change, cause and effect, or comparing and contrasting.
6. Students will be able to compare regions with different economic systems and explain the relationship between economic systems and government. I can identify regions with different economic systems and government. I can compare different economic systems. I can explain the relationship between economic systems and government. I can propose changes that would impact economic systems and government.
7. Students will analyze geographic features that have impacted culture and conflict in the United States and other regions. I can define geographic features. I can identify geographic features in a region. I can draw conclusions about how geographic features impact a region. I can assess the significance of geographic features on a region.
  1. Role of the Citizen

Students will be able to demonstrate knowledge of and document participation in the rights, responsibilities and duties of citizens (local, state, national, and global).

1.     Students will evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of political systems. I can define political systems. I can identify the strengths and weaknesses of political systems. I can assess the strengths and weaknesses of political systems. I can propose improvements to political systems.
2.   Students will be able to identify the rights of a citizen in local, state, national and/or global settings. I can list rights of a citizen. I can define specific rights of a citizen. I can determine the rights of a citizen based on a specific setting. I can compare and contrast the rights of a citizen in different settings.
3.   Students will be able to compare the rights of United States citizens with those of citizens from other nations. I can identify the rights of a United States citizen. I can identify the rights of U.S. citizens and citizens of other nations. I can compare and contrast the rights of United States citizens with those of other nations. I can assess the impact these rights on a United States citizen’s daily life and with the nation 
4.     Students will be able to analyze the interconnections of social and/or civic institutions (i.e. media, governmental, financial, technological) on societal issues, trends, and events. I can define social and public institutions. I can identify examples of social and public institutions. I can examine the relationship between social and public institutions. I can evaluate events by their degree of influence and historical relevance on institutions.
5. Students will be able to evaluate the degree of influence the individual has in the decision making process in a political system. I can list the different ways an individual can influence a political system. I can summarize the different ways an individual can influence a political system. I can determine the influence of different actions by an individual on a political system. I can assess the influence that an individual has on decisions in a political system.
6.   Students will be able to plan and implement a civic action or service-learning project based on a community need or issue. I can describe a service-learning project that is connected to an issue in the community. I can plan individual steps in a service-learning project. I can participate in a service-learning project that is connected to an issue in the community. I can initiate a service-learning project that addresses a need or issue in the community.